- Final Army Navy Weekend Reminder 12/03/2018
- Final San Diego update, Army-Navy Weekend Announcement 10/23/2018
- Navy Apparel 10/23/2018
- Update on San Diego and Home Tailgates 10/23/2018
- Important Request and Sign Up for San Diego 2018 09/26/2018
- December 2018 (1)
- October 2018 (3)
- September 2018 (2)
- August 2018 (6)
- July 2018 (5)
- May 2018 (1)
- April 2018 (2)
- February 2018 (3)
- December 2017 (1)
- November 2017 (1)
- October 2017 (5)
- September 2017 (4)
- August 2017 (8)
- November 2016 (4)
- October 2016 (3)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- May 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (2)
- February 2016 (6)
- January 2016 (1)
- December 2015 (5)
- November 2015 (5)
- October 2015 (21)
- September 2015 (18)
- August 2015 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
Search within our site
Most used tags
Subscribe to Class of 1985 Website Updates
Email sent 26 July 2018
Email sent 24 July 2018
Hello Hawaii Travelers, If you can open this link from your phones, you will get an invite to the ’85 group on whatsapp so you can be part of the group texts going forward.
Here is where we are with everything as of today:
Current head count:
Total Weekend Adults 91
Total Weekend Child 2
Total Happy Hour 82
Total Tailgate Adults 91
Total tailgate Child 4
Total Bus Trans 61
Total Footbal Tix 95
(30 for Barge tour Thursday (Full) and full on the Friday morning Rich Tilghman tour, numbers building for Sunday victory party at Kailua Beach)
I do not have the numbers for the Luau, but I know we are getting close to 50 seats we had reserved plus an additional 20 from the Winkler group. The Admiral Barge tour is full at 30. I am still working the Friday night Happy Hour/Dinner event. I am actively looking at places we can have a happy hour and dinner all together and there are some interesting options I am exploring. I will put that information out once I have a firm agreement in place. For example, however: Tommy Bahama’s Rooftop restaurant, The Eating House, The Yard House, Bill’s Steakhouse just to mention a few. The Saturday Tailgate will be a $50 per head fee to cover catered food, beer and wine for 3 hours prior to the game. I will publish the menu, but there will be grilled foods, sides and other appetizers (sounds yummy). The transportation to and from the game will be provided at the cost of $25 per person and get us there for at least 3 full hours of tailgating (this will leave a little extra for driver gratuity). Game tickets are $40 each and we will be sitting as a group as best they can accommodate a group our size (Lower level end zone). These are better seats then the Navy Ticket office could sell us since I am dealing with the local ticket office in Hawaii direclty. So, I will need to collect for the game tickets, the tailgate and the bus transport in advance. For those of you attending the Rich Tilghman event, transportion will also be $25 per person round trip from the hotels.
So, here is how we will do this: I have a Paypal Account at: firstname.lastname@example.org. I would REALLY prefer you send me your payments via PayPal and send it to “Friends and Family”so that a service fee is not charged. In the notes, indicate what your paying me for. For example: 2 Tailgate, 2 Football and 2 Bus (that would be $230). Add up what you owe for the events you are attending and send that amount. If…. you cannot or do not want to use PayPal, send me a personal check to:
776 S. Angola Road
Coldwater, MI 49036
PLEASE indicate on your envelope: Hawaii Trip and inside add a note about what events you are paying me for. I would appreciate all checks NLT August 10th as payments are due to vendors by the 15th. When we get the dinner plan into place for Friday in the next week or so, expect that news. I am planning for a nice event with drinks, dinner in a nice atmosphere so expect to spend $50 at least per person or more for a nice evening out with classmates. Dress code will be “tropical” nice casual. For me, golf shorts and a Hawaiian or golf shirt and a sun dress for my lovely wife in case you need to know. (you are welcome wives!). Refunds?? In case you need to cancel, I can do refunds up until August 16th, after that, we are locked into firm numbers.
I can remember looking at this game at our last USNA ’85 Reunion and saying: “What if?”….. Well, just like Dublin and Jacksonville and San Diego later this season, “What if” has become: WOW, Look at us!! Get yourself onto the Whatsapp Chat if you want real time updates (this becomes important as we get closer to the weekend or while we are in Oahu trust me!) Send me your money for events and start practicing your Hulu dancing. (And for Charlie Giles, get your Speedo collection to the dry cleaners, light starch). You know where to find me if you need me. Looking forward to an AMAZING weekend in the Big 50! I never thought we could top Dublin, BUT….. I am getting a feeling that we just might do that here. Go Navy as always!! Bob Smith ‘85
C: (502) 432-6185
PS – And BRACE UP if you miss this amazing opportunity. Note, we have a group of 20 Classmates/friends from Atlanta with the Winklers who are in addition to the current group of 43…. GREAT turnout.
“Menu for Evening Meal: Roast Pig on a spit, lots of rum drinks…. Yummy Side dishes and perhaps Lyonaise potatoes.”
Email sent 22 July 2018
|Mark & Beth Brownell|
|Nancy & Eric Isaminger`|
|Greg & Sue Morrow|
|Charlie & Jennifer Giles|
|Steve & Monica Rauch|
|Mark Henderson and Pamela Righter|
|THOMAS L ADAMS III|
|Mark & Kim Waterman|
|Steve & Theresa Kelly|
Email sent 17 July 2018
As we all enjoy our summer and summer vacations, it’s time start the final phase planning of the Class of ’85 trip to Hawii in late August on your near term calendar, as well as the late October San Diego trip next on your radar scopes. We have about 90 Classmates and family members attending the Hawii Trip which is awesome and once again makes us the “Class with Class” as no other class will have half this number. Here is where we stand and I am still finalizing a few things, but need to get the word to everyone now as the final pieces come into place. Here is what I have in chronological order:
1) Thursday morning at 0845 we have a tour of the the Pearl Harbor area on the Admiral’s Barge. Please contact Ashley Yetman ASAP if you are interested as there are limited spots. Her contact info is: email@example.com. Ashley has also posted this event on our Class Facebook post and you can messenger her there.
2) Thursday evening, classmate Rich Tilghman has arranged for those interested to attend the Hale Koa Luaa, Thursday, August 30th. Meet for drinks at 5:30 at the Barefoot bar for the 6:30pm dinner and show. “Navy 85” 808-955-0555 Aug 30th. You have contact the Hale Koa directly to attend, 808-955-0555 and tell them you are with the Navy 85 group. The deadline is July 24th at 2300 EST to do reserve. Remember, tell them you are booking as part of “Navy ’85”. There are fireworks next door at the Hilton that go off right after the Luaa ends. Rich says it is an amazing show and fireworks so don’t miss it. Contact Rich at firstname.lastname@example.org or he in the class Facebook group and always answers messages promptly with questions.
3) Friday, Rich has also volunteered to do a half day Island Tour for anyone interested. The dynamics of the tour will depend on the level of interest. Please contact Rich on Facebook or at the above email address to attend a tour he that is still in the making.
4) Friday evening, we will have a 1600-1800 Happy Hour at the Marriott Waikiki Beach, which is the class hotel. This will be an event designed to allow for classmates to then go off and enjoy a nice dinner at one of the many local restaurants. I will reach out directly to those who have signed up on the class website to share a list of who is going so people can look network with each other on dinner plans. I have request a cash bar type event and am still working with Marriott staff on this and will post final details when I have them.
5) Pre and post game tailgate for the football game against Hawaii on Saturday, September 1st; we will be teaming up with the local USNA Alumni Chapter for a fun tailgate event. This will include bus transport to and from the Hale Koa and Marriott hotels and game tickets in our class block. Once again, you need to sign up on the class website: http://1985.
6) Sunday, September 2nd, Rich Tighlman and his chihuahua will be hosting a party at his house and a beach trip for the day. He lives 1/2 block from one of the nicest beaches in the world: Kailua Beach. It will be a meet at 1200 from hotels for transport to his house where he has a nice pool area and it will be a full day of fun at his beachside bungalo and the beach. Once again, please contact Rich and his chihuahua to RSVP so that we can get a count regarding transportation, food, drinks, speedos (Charlie Giles?), etc. Once again, transport leaving from the Hale Koa and Marriott Waikiki Hotels and returning when the fun runs out.
We have a GREAT turnout for this event so far away and I appreciate this and think we have done a good job of putting a full schedule of events together for those making this trip. I want to thank Ashley and Rich for all their help and support in putting this weekend in place and please sign up on the class website and/or contact me with any questions. The Navy/Notre Dame weekend is coming into view and I will soon be coming out with more specifics on this weekend, but we will have a full schedule of events for those coming to San Diego for that weekend as well. Sign ups are on the class website as well and it helps me to have you sign up in advance. If you are going to Hawaii, PLEASE sign up for our events ASAP so we can do proper planning. I will soon have the tailgate info and will reach out to collect money for the transport, game tickets and tailgate events; so stay tuned.
Outside of all of the travel events, we are gearing up for another great season of home Navy Football games as well as events for the Army/Navy game in Philadelphia and will keep putting out info on these events as the plans come together. If anyone lives in or near a city where there is a home game and wants to help us sponsor a tailgate event or class party, PLEASE let me know and I can help you support it. So, keep enjoying your summer as I am and focus on these upcoming events if you plan to attend. Go Navy and Beat Everyone this season…. MOST OF ALL: ARMY!!
Bob Smith ’85
As the Hawaii trip schedule of events gets formalized via our class president, Bob Smith, here is the tentative schedule as posted on Facebook by Rich Tilghman:
Thursday, 30 AUG 2018
AM: VIP Pearl Harbor boat tour through COMPACFLT- FIRM
PM: Luau- dinner+/show , Hale Koa Hotel – FIRM
NOTE: *** 50 seats together blocked for us- UNTIL 5 PM, Hawaii time, JULY 25- purchase ASAP BY
ACTUAL PHONE CALL, only, 1-808-955-0555, option “2” between 0900-1630 Hawaii time to book AND pay. Specify “Navy 85” tables.
Friday 31AUG 2018
AM: 1/2 day or so island tour on A/C coach…. swim, lunch, sightseeing, narrated by Rich
PM: Dinner/drinks TBD Waikiki
Saturday 01 SEP 2018
AM: Pickup for tailgater with Hawaii USNA grads
PM: Hawaii/UH game (tix info coming)
Sunday 02 SEP 2018
PM: Pool/beach party, Rich’s place, Kailua
- Through our class Facebook group, please reply soon WITH interest in EACH event (or NOT)
- Purchase YOUR luau tix ASAP (64.95 each) by Phone only!!!
- Facebook PM Ashley Yetman with interest on VIP Pearl Harbor tour ASAP
If anyone has any questions or is interested in the list of attendees, please feel free to reach out via email to Bob Smith or Angela Orlando or reach out to our own Hawaii tour guide, Rich Tilghman, via Facebook.
Finalized schedule to be posted as soon as it becomes available.